Find your way to better health with one or more of the steps listed below.
- Make a well-woman appointment with your doctor.
A well-woman visit is a yearly preventive checkup. It’s a time to ask questions about your health, discuss changes you’d like to make, and consider suggested vaccines and medical tests.
A yearly well-woman appointment is often covered by your health insurance. If you don’t have insurance, free or low-cost medical care may be provided to you at a community health center.
- Take steps toward better health. Here are some helpful recommendations.
- Eat healthy. A balanced eating plan will help you reach and maintain a healthy weight. Eating plans are easily found online.
- Get at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
- Get 7 – 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t abuse alcohol.
- Don’t use illegal drugs.
- Don’t misuse prescription medication.
- Discuss any of these recommendations with your doctor.
- Seek help if you are a victim of abuse.
- Call 911 for emergency help.
- Call the Domestic Violence Hotline. In New Castle County, this number is 355.0300.
- Seek counseling. A pastor, school counselor, or doctor can point you to appropriate help.
- A Door of Hope is well connected to community agencies. We regularly help our clients find resources they need on the pathway to better health.